Above is one such sweep in Alabama. Below are some tips on what you can do if the US Marshals come knocking on YOUR door.
- DO NOT sign anything, ever, at your door! No matter how "innocent" it seems. Politely refuse,
unless you can speak to your lawyer first.
- DO NOT answer any questions beyond confirming that you are you, and required registration info.
Anything else could be used (or twisted) to incriminate you.
- DO invoke the 5th amendment if necessary. But be prepared to be peppered with more questions
(What are you hiding? Eh?), and reply only that you want your lawyer present first.
- DO NOT let anyone into your home without a warrant, unless you are still "on paper" and it is
required. In almost every state, LE has no right whatsoever to enter a person's home without one.
- DO NOT leave your home while LE is still at your door. You have strong protections in your home,
but practically none once you are out on the street.
- If you have easy access to a camera (cell phone in pocket), take a picture of the group on your
porch, or better yet record the whole thing. Many cell phones have a "record" feature for you to talk
into. Turn it on and keep it aimed at everyone speaking.
The last one is highly important, in my opinion.
Recording media is a registrant's best friend.
There are also a number of spy cameras online.